Pennewell Simpson Luxury Real Estate can help ensure that your home is uniquely positioned to create maximum interest and help produce the highest possible return. Although the price you place on your property will of course greatly influence your results, there are a number of other factors that come into play. Some of these, like location, recent sales prices for homes in your area, and current market indicators, are not within your control. But many other factors are. You can make a big difference in how your home is presented to potential buyers. You also have control over how easy it is to arrange showings.
Price. Determining the best asking price for a home can be one of the most challenging aspects of selling a home. It is also one of the most important. If your home is priced above market value you will miss out on prospective buyers. If it is priced below you may sell for less than you could have.
A good realtor will listen to you and will analyze the market to help you decide on a listing price. Take advantage of the initial excitement your home will draw during its first few weeks on the market by pricing realistically. Since houses tend to have the most viewing activity within the first few weeks after they are listed, it is important to price your home right from the start. Pricing too high or too low can cost you time and money. Realistic pricing will achieve a maximum sale price in a reasonable amount of time.
Presentation. As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. First impressions are critical, so it is important that your home “shows” well from the start.
Think about what a potential buyer will see when he or she approaches your home, and make that look as inviting as possible. Better yet, go out to the curb and walk into your home from the front entrance! Here are some things you might consider to improve that first impression:
- Make sure the landscaping is a in good condition, and free of weeds
- Add color and fill in bare spots with plantings and pots
- Remove stains from your driveway with cleanser
- Remove any outdoor furniture that is not in good repair
- Make sure your pool and spa sparkle
- Touch up exterior paint if needed
- Add a new front door mat and consider seasonal decorations
- Make sure the doorbell is in good working order
Inside your home think “de-clutter”. A potential buyer wants to see themselves and their family in your home. That can be hard to do if the counters are covered, furniture is too abundant, and the closets are overflowing. Also think “neutral” to help the buyer see beyond your color choices. Here are some tips to help get your home’s interior ready to impress:
- Make sure the interior paint is fresh, and preferably in a neutral color
- Clean or replace carpeting if needed
- Polish floors
- Make sure all light fixtures and lamps are working
- Wash all windows and wipe fingerprints off light switches
- Clean out and organize closets – make your closets appear more roomy by giving away or placing in storage any items you won’t need until after you move
- Remove extra furniture so that walkways are clear and each room looks spacious and remove any furniture, rugs or decorative items that are worn or in dis-repair
- Keep papers, toys, etc. picked up
- Make sure HVAC filters are clean
- Repair or replace any problems such as loose door knobs, leaking taps or toilets, cracked moldings, doors or screens that are off their tracks, etc.
- Secure jewelry, cash and other valuables
In the kitchen:
- Make sure appliances are in working order and spotless inside and out
- Clean often forgotten spots including the top of the refrigerator and under the sink
- Unclutter all counter tops and remove countertop appliances
In the bathroom:
- Make sure all fixtures are in good repair
- Make sure tile, fixtures, shower doors, etc. are clean and shiny
- Replace loose or discolored caulking or grout
- Make sure lighting is bright but soft
In the garage, storage and utility areas:
- Sell, give away, or throw out any unnecessary items
- Make sure the garage floor and baseboards are clean
- Tidy storage or work areas
- Organize and create more floor space by hanging tools and placing items on shelves
- Make sure the garage door opener(s) works smoothly
Pennewell Simpson Luxury Real Estate will be happy to walk through your home with you and give you honest advice on how to showcase your home. Thinking about renovations or remodeling before you put your home on the market? Don’t hesitate to call us for advice. We have the experience to help you decide what may be worth doing.